How to Navigate in DEVONthink
When working in a database with a more complex hierarchy of groups, sometimes you may feel a bit lost. Or maybe you find yourself needing to move more quickly through your groups. Here are a few ways to quickly navigate back and forth through locations in your DEVONthink databases.
- When you have a document open, hold the Command key (⌘) and click the document’s name in the window’s title bar. A pop-up menu of the location’s parents will appear. This works similarly in many other Mac apps too.
- Below the tool bar you will find the path bar, which displays the path to the current location. Click a parent group to get there.
- If you have been navigating into the group structure, not merely opening groups to expose their subgroups, the history of locations in that window is stored in the path bar. Click and hold the back button (❮) at the left end of the path bar to expose a pop-up menu of the history, similar to how browser buttons work.
- In the Tools > Inspectors > Info > Generic inspector, hover over group icons in the Location section and click the desired group.
For navigation in DEVONthink you can also select Go from the menu and use the options there. Here are a few examples:
- Select a location to open and choose Go > Selected Group from the menu or use the shortcut ⌥⌘↓. To navigate back, choose Go > Enclosing Group or use ⌥⌘↑.
- Select Go > Top Group to jump to the database root or use the shortcut ⌥⌘⤒ (Fn-Option-Command-Left).
- To jump to a particular group, perhaps not in the current database, choose Go > To Group or press ⌃⌘G to open the Go To popover and search for the desired group name.
We hope this helps you move around your DEVONthink databases a bit more efficiently.